Sunday, April 5, 2009

I need everyone's opinion!

Baby names. Specifically for a girl. Obviously we don't know yet if it's a boy or girl, but we want to have names ready for either when we do find out. We've had our boy's name picked out since day 1, so now I just have to find a girls name that I like. Here is the problem that I need advice on: Every time I find a name I like, I find out about 2 or 3 other people who are naming their kid the same thing or something really close. How much should that bother me? For instance, my favorite name right now for a girl, I just found out a friend/acquaintance of mine is naming her daughter the same thing. My spelling is different, but it's still the same name. Again, how much should that bother me? I still really like the name, and this person isn't really a friend, just someone I run into once in awhile and used to work with, like 4 or 5 years ago. I talked to her about it and she's totally cool with it, she was really sweet about it actually. She said that she thinks it's a beautiful name and she totally gets why I would love it and she would never think I was "Stealing it" lol. I don't really want to spill my names yet, for reasons I'm sure you all understand, but just wondering what you all think as I'm sure most of you have been through the same kind of thing. Help please!!

6 comments:

Carlson Clan said...

That can definitely be a dilemma but I think if you have a name that you absolutely love you should use it. I have always been able to tell if the name "feels" right so if you feel that way then don't worry about who else might have the same name. That's just what I think!

Kimber Bowen said...

Heidi, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you love the name you love the name. And it is your child, you want to name your child the name that fits and feels right. Plus what if you don't see that friend anymore. Anyways, I think it should be fine.

alisekelley said...

I think if you really like the name you should stick with it. I am excited to see what you are having! I would stick with the name though!

The Christensens said...

I have the same issue. James and I have loved the name Alivia Rose since we first got married. That was going to be our first girl's name, but now it seems like everyone is using it. So I have changed my girl's name a little to one that is very similar (Aleia Rose). I really like it, but I still really love Alivia. But I don't want her to have a name that everyone is using. I am weird like that. So I would just use the name if it is really a name you love. But if it is going to really bother you that someone else is using the name than don't use it. ANyway goodluck!!!

Unknown said...

I had no problem coming up with names that I loved..My problem was finding something that Bleu likes. It's hard to get some that you both agree on sometimes. I have tried a few approaches for names. My side is big on family names, like using a grandparent's names as a middle name, or their middle name as a first name. Maybe you could go with using your middle name as her first. I've always wanted a girl named Leigh after my dad, and Bleu doesn't like it. He's more into names from movies. His favorite is Landon from A Walk to Remember. We have agreed on Ella for a girl because I love Ella Fitzgerald. I did a lot of searching on the internet, mainly babyzone.com and just looked through names till I found some I liked, and also some that gave me ideas for other names. It helps to know if you are into traditional names like Sarah and Jessica, or if you want something unique like Miquelle or Ashlynn. Also another trend right now is old fashioned names like Olivia and Afton. Anyway, hopefully that gets you on the right track. Just so you know, I would not be offended if you named your little girl after me. lol :)

The Pascoe Family said...

Hi Heidi,
I seen your blog, and thought I would see what you were up too. Congrats on your baby :)
That is really exciting.
*My advice on the name is, if you love it use it. Chances are if it is a good name then someone somewhere that you know is going to have it.
Good luck, choosing a name is the hardest part.
Sandy (Landon) Pascoe