Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Why, yes! We are planning a home water birth.

I've had a few people ask about it and I thought I would go ahead and put it out there.

Part of me really hates to write this. I mean, people don't go around saying "Hey guess what? I'm giving birth in a hospital!" It's normal. I think home birth should be too and I really don't want it to be a big deal. Because it isn't. It's normal.

This is not a decision that I came to superficially or over night. For 2 YEARS now I have been doing research and reading birth stories and without a shadow of a doubt I know this is the best thing for my baby and myself.

Right after Victor's birth I began reading and doing more research on birth. Honestly, it was within just a couple of months that I knew I wanted a home birth next time. The induction that shouldn't have happened in the first place, being told I was NOT allowed to get up and walk around, mandatory external and internal fetal monitors, the doc who broke my water without telling me and then proceeded to tell me I'd never be able to do it and he'd be doing a c-section, then the epidural I went ahead and got because he said I'd need it one way or the other (and totally pissed me off) THEN that epidural didn't even work during most of my labor anyway, the episiotomy that he gave me on BOTH sides because supposedly I was starting to tear (so what?) and afterwards when he admitted to me that had he known I was going to have a basically 9lb baby he never would have let me labor so long cause he would have recommended a c-section. Then afterwards when I was so swollen and engorged from all the fluid they pumped through my IV and my back hurt soooo bad from the epidural I couldn't even get off the bed by myself ( thank GOD Matt was able to stay with me, I have NO idea how I would have taken care of Victor that night without him) and could barely walk for the next several days.

I know most of you are thinking, "well, that sounds like a typical birth to me.." you know IV, in bed, monitors, pitocin..... But isn't that sad? Shouldn't we expect better than that? Shouldn't we want to be able to walk and change positions? eat and drink as we need to? His birth wasn't terrible, it was a fairly typical hospital birth and Victor was perfectly healthy. I just want something better this time. I don't want typical, I want normal, ecstatic, extraordinary...

Roughly 93-95% of women are considered low-risk in pregnancy and if left ALONE to gestate and labor normally can do so perfectly fine WITHOUT medical intervention. For 7-5% of women medical intervention is absolutely necessary and saves lives, mommas and babies. The problem is, our c-section rate in this country hovers around 30%.... WHY?

I'm gonna go ahead and throw in here: I am NOT trying to convince anybody that this way is better. I truly don't believe it is better for everybody. I simply believe this way is better for US and want to explain the information I have and how I came to this place. I think that everyone makes the best decision for their own situation and as long as you are happy with your particular situation, then I am SOOO thrilled and happy for you.

A little timeline for you. In the 1800s women were giving birth in the street rather than go to a hospital because of the fear of childbed fever. Early 1900s they finally started to recognize bacteriology and applied measures to stop spreading germs (you know, like washing your hands?). In 1914 "twilight" sleep was introduced in America. This is where they would sedate you will your cervix dilated, then give you more ether while "pushing", cut a huge episiotomy and use forceps to extract baby. Sounds nice, huh?
In 1920 Dr. Joseph DeLee became the proponent of this movement in maternity care and made it his mission to save women from the "evils" of childbirth. In 1935 a mere 37% of all births occurred in hospitals. By 1940, only about 50% of women were birthing in hospitals. It wasn't until 1950 that the majority of births (about 88%) were occurring in hospitals.

It's only been the past 60 or so years that most births even took place in hospitals!! And did you know that the CDC says that the maternal death rate is the highest now that it's been in decades? Wow. Connection? Maybe, more research is really needed to find out why. They speculate that the rising number of c-sections may have something to do with it, plus poor nutrition, the high rate of obesity as well. I personally believe that there is TOO MUCH medical intervention and not enough believing in our own ability to birth babies the way God or nature (however you believe) intended.

Oh boy this is getting waaay longer than I thought.....Kudos if you're still with me!

Anyway, I have the most amazing team of midwives. From the very first time I met with them I felt like I'd known them for years. They hugged me and we talked and they shared my outrage at the things the other doc had said to me at Victor's birth about not being able to do it. The lead midwife has a Master's degree in nursing and worked in a hospital based practice for years before deciding she couldn't take it anymore and switched to her private home based care practice. Since then she has attended more than 200 births. The second midwife is a certified professional midwife and there is also a midwife-in-training working with them. All are certified in neonatal resuscitation and CPR. I feel incredibly safe with these women and I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that this is the BEST decision for us. And yes, for those that worry, she maintains a collaborative agreement with a local OB/GYN in case the need for medical care arises. The hospital is only 7 minutes away and their "decision to incision" time (should the need truly arise) is less than or the same as if I were actually in a hospital already.

I remember with my OB I'd see the nurse for a few minutes and then wait for the doc who I'd see for, like, 5-10 minutes, and then leave. My appts with my midwives usually last about an hour or more. And they've come to my home several times already. We talk and laugh and tell stories and they really spend time with me and know me and I know them. I could NOT ask for better care from anyone. Any time I've had a question or concern I call and talk directly to one of the midwives, no nurse or any go-between. It's lovely. It also helps that I'm super healthy. Better even than with Victor. I've only gained about 14lbs, my blood sugar is great, my blood pressure is nice and low. We walk every day. I attribute a lot of this to being in such great hands with my care givers.

Some serious Pros to home birth:
1. I'm in my own home. Total comfort. I dont' have to go anywhere, or worry about when to leave. The midwife comes to me.
2. I can eat or drink as I need to
3. No IV, No stuck in bed, no monitors
4. I can move around, walk, change positions however my body tells me I need to.
5. I'm gonna have a big birthing pool set up in the dining room and I can get in the nice hot water when I want and even give birth in there (which i intend to do).
6. Victor doesn't have to leave me. My mom will be here the week or so before my due date and will be able to take care of him while I'm in labor. My next door neighbor (who is an angel) will be able to take them in her home if Victor needs to be somewhere else. I figure the most he'll be away from us is a couple of hours. He and my mom can meet little Cadie within minutes of her being born.
6. The midwives handle all the newborn care, just as if we were in a hospital. They handle APGAR scores, any tests, bathing etc. Granted there are several procedures we will be declining but still, anything a hospital can do for a newborn (besides actual NICU) they can provide in my home.
7. The midwives carry oxygen, pitocin, IVs, saline all kinds of medical supplies. Basically they carry a portable birth center with them so they can manage anything that may arise.


One thing I noticed people say about natural childbirth "just get the epidural, it's not like you're gonna get a medal afterwards..." It's not about that. Or anywhere close. I believe in the power of my body to do this. I want to fully experience the birth of my baby as it was intended, as women have been doing for thousands of years. I want the joy of feeling my baby moving through my body and being an active participant, not just a passive observer while someone else takes charge. No. I will be in charge. My baby and my body, we will do this together.

Someone out there is still thinking "holy crap, she's crazy." That's ok. You don't have to agree with me. You do what's best for you and I'll do what's best for me, that's all we can do.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Good for you, Heidi! I have two sisters-in-law that have done home births, and they absolutely loved the experience for all the reasons you said. Good luck to you and little Cadie!

Tim and Amber said...

You are so totally awesome Heidi! If it weren't for Tim's sensitive stomach, I would totally want to do a home birth. I think they look more peaceful. Go YOU!!! :)

Anonymous said...

im so proud of you, you have really done alot of research! i think we as moms know whats best for our body and baby and its our decision on how we wanna bring them into this world, you totally deserve a freaking medal! :)

Amanda said...

I think what I admire the most is that you clearly feel and state how you know this is the right choice for you but that you do not degrade others who may not follow along the same lines. I think it is WONDERFUL that you are able, and Matt is supportive, of you having a home birth. I wish our birth would have turned out differently, but at the same time I am completely 100% convinced that, in our RARE case, an emergency c-section saved one if not both my wife and child's lives. I think it is so great that you are listening to your body and know what it is capable of and I believe that will help you delivery Cadie in the way you so want to. BUT, being the worrier I am, I am also very glad that your midwives seem to be so knowledgable and that the hospital is so close JUST IN CASE...I pray there is not a reason to have to find out exactly how long it takes to get there :)

Carlson Clan said...

I like the idea of home births too and would totally convince my husband for us to do it if I didn't have high risk health problems for me. And to be honest, if I had the same birthing experience as you did with my first I would've chosen something different too!! My birthing experiences at the hospital with all three of my children have been WONDERFUL and nothing like what you described. So good for you for finding something that will be amazing for you this time around!

James and Danielle said...

Loved it Heidi! Thanks for sharing. I totally agree. I was so naive and undereducated when I had my first. I love natural birth! We are in the process of moving so I am not sure if I am doing a home birth or hospital, but natural either way! If I have any questions about home birth I know who to call! Love you and again thanks for sharing your inner most thoughts!