Saturday, July 11, 2009

My first car accident

So yesterday (Friday) was a REALLY crappy day. I didn't sleep well the night before and then had to be at work at 9am. Of course, it's friday, so we were super busy at work. I finally got to take my break around 2:40 and headed home to take a rest. I'd already eaten so I was just taking some time away from work to chill out before I had to go back until 6:30pm. I was headed back to work around 3:30pm and decided to stop at McDonalds for a drink on my way. As I was getting ready to pull out of the parking lot, there was quite a bit of traffic on the road. It's a 4 lane road that I was turning left across. A truck had stopped on my left, he was holding up traffic for me so that I could pull out and there was a break in the traffic coming the other way. The trucker waved me out so I pulled out just as another car cut around the truck to go around him and plowed into me. But since I was pulling out the accident is my fault. Whatever. It knocked off my front bumper, crinkled the hood up and broke the headlight casings. I start crying again just thinking about my poor car....

Anyone who has ever been in an accident kind of knows how those first few seconds are. It takes you a few seconds to figure out what the heck just happened. I had been so worried about the traffic coming the other way that I never even thought to look that way and was just so confused. Then it kind of hit me and I started crying and couldn't stop. I tried calling the police, then my boss to let her know what happened and then Matt. Matt left work immediately so he could come be with me. I'm sooo glad he did because I don't think I could have dealt with everything without him there. He called the doctor and the insurance company and dealt with the tow truck guys. I can't thank him enough for helping me the entire time. I love him so much and every little thing just makes me even more glad that I married him and how lucky I am that I get to spend the rest of my life with him.

I was a mess. I couldn't stop crying and I felt awful. It was so hot outside and I was swelling up, plus I was kind of cramping and all nauseous and my back was killing me. All of which could be attributed to the stress of having just been in a car accident. They called the paramedics to check me out since I'm pregnant and my BP was great, my heart rate was elevated (stress). Matt was on the phone with Chuck (my OB) and he said to go ahead to the Women and Children's Hospital and he would call them and make sure they were ready to monitor us to make sure everything was ok. I hadn't felt Victor move at all, but I don't always feel alot of movement all the time, so I was trying not to freak out about that too much.

We got to the ER and they checked me in, the first thing they did was try to find Vic's heartbeat, which she found immediately, Thank You God! I was so relieved I started crying again and Matt was squeezing my hand so hard, we were both just so relieved. They sent me up to maternity triage to monitor his movements and heartrate. He was being pretty rowdy, everytime the nurse would find his heartbeat he'd move and she'd have to try to find it again. Once we got the monitors settled my doc got there to check me out. Turns out I was having some mild contractions, so they gave me a shot of terbutaline (sp?) to stop them. After a bit they saw that it evened out and my urinalysis came back clean so we were all set to go! Chuck (my OB) did tell me to take it easy this weekend, so I was not allowed to go to work today and I'm home laying on my couch.

There was one funny moment though, while we were waiting for results we were watching TV. Well, everytime Vic would move or kick me we could hear it on the monitor. At one point he actually started to kick the monitor and it made this really loud sound. Matt and I both kind of jumped and started laughing, well when I started laughing it made even more noise on the monitors, which mademe laugh even harder! Then I guess because I was laughing it wasn't picking up the baby's heartrate so the alarm started going off, and I really lost it then! I just couldn't stop! Matt was sitting right next to me laughing just as hard, which wasn't helping. I finally got myself under control and it started picking his HR back up and the alarm quit. I still giggle just thinking about it.

So I'm OK, and the baby's OK, which is really the only important thing. I'm trying not to stress about the fact that I can't drive my car for awhile. And that since the accident is my fault our insurance is going to cover it, but paying the deductible for the car and the hospital will wipe out everything we've managed to save for the baby. I'm thankful that we had that money saved up so that we could deal with something like this, but I'm so MAD that it had to happen and now we're right back at square one with nothing. We have so many other things that we need to worry about right now and the car wasn't one of them! So while I'm here at home I'm just focusing on the fact that we are both ok and that's the only thing that matters. We'll figure out a way to get the things we need for Victor, we still have a couple of months before he's due to arrive, so we'll figure it out.

So I have a couple of bruises, and I'm a lil sore (neck, shoulders and back) but I guess for my first car accident EVER in my entire life, this was a good one to have since no one was hurt and the damage wasnt as bad as it could have been. So I hope everyone has a better weekend than me!!

7 comments:

Carlson Clan said...

I'm so sorry Heidi! I got hit by a semi for my first accident and it wasn't pretty! I know exactly what you mean by being so confused. I couldn't stop crying either. And I've had that monitor thing happen before too so I know exactly what you're talking about. Hilarious. Take it easy and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon. Good luck with the car!

Kimber Bowen said...

Heidi, I am so sorry. How scary. I am so glad that you and the baby are safe and doing well. I hope that you start feeling better soon. Oh what a horrible Friday. Glad you are doing well.

Ben and Jessica Buehner said...

That is such a scary story!!! I know what you mean about someone being there with you making it better... When I had my first accident Matt was right there to help me through it too. I think its amazing that you guys are able to find the good in the situation. I wish there was something we was able to do to help you guys out. Let me know if you think of something. And I think its so special that you were excited for us getting a house even though so much was going wrong for you. So thank you for that. You are an incredible person and I am glad you are in my life.

Anonymous said...

How scary luckily only your car was hurt! Thats too funny that the baby was kicking the heart monitor! sounds like you needed to laugh so he took care of it!

The Christensens said...

Oh Heidi- so sorry. What an experience. I can't even imagine, but I am so glad that everyone, espcially you and your precious baby are ok! Hang in there. It is amazing how things work out! I have a few finanical things that you might be able to do to help out with hospital bills when the baby comes. You might already know all of this, but give me your email or call me sometime and I can share if you want. I love you, Miss Heidi Sue!!!!

Tim and Amber said...

oh my gosh! I'm so glad you and baby are ok! Hopefully you don't have any more horrible days like this until after your little boy is here! :)

Unknown said...

I know it’s been years already since it happened, but I’m so relieved that your baby was okay. I must agree that it takes several seconds for the terrible situation like that to sink in. But at least, you managed to make a call to report the situation you were in, and that you were able to recover from the trauma. Hope you're doing well!

Richard Johnson