Sunday, February 8, 2009

Weekend

So I started my weekend with my first prenatal appointment! yay! Of course, we didn't get off to the greatest start. The card they had given me after my confirmation appt last monday said my appointment was at Wednesday, Feb 4 at 2:00pm. So I show up at 10 minutes till 2, and the lady can't find my appointment. She looks my name up and they had me in the computer for Thursday at 10am. Are you kidding me? I was soo irritated, and some of that may be the hormones, but still, how unprofessional to get things mixed up, or to change it and not call me. Anyways, I go home all pissed off, cause Matt had gone with me and he couldn't get off work for the next morning so he couldn't come with me.
So I go back at 9:30 the next morning so I have time to do all the paperwork. After I go back to my exam room, we are going through my medical history. When we get to the family medical history I tell her that my mom is diabetic and started out as a gestational diabetic and my dad is insulin resistant (a precursor to diabetes). So she decides it's very important for me to take a glucose tolerance test now just in case. Which is fine with me cause the earlier we watch for it the easier to treat if something should happen. Of course, those of you who have had the test know how much fun it is, lol. They give you the drink, mine was orange, like flat orange soda, which didn't taste awful, but I also chugged it down in 2 drinks so I wouldn't have to taste it as much, lol. The nurse was watching me chug it and gagging, it was soo funny! The worst part was just that it left a nasty aftertaste in my mouth and gave me a headache. And then of course everythig else, the pelvic exam, and the drawing of blood. Like 8 tubes of blood. I was actually glad Matt wasn't there at that point cause he has been known to pass out around blood, lord knows how he's gonna get through the birth, hahaha! They said they would call me if anything was out of the ordinary and so far nothing so i guess no news is good news. And, as I was checking out, they don't want to see me again for 6 weeks. 6 weeks! I'll be almost out of my first trimester by then. It just seems like an awful long time to wait to see/hear my baby's heartbeat, and even to go between appointments.
Overall I was not thrilled with my experience at FamilyCare. The lady who drew my blood absolutely couldn't care less who I was and the lady who checks out all the patients and makes the appointments (the one who screwed up my first appontment) is flat out rude! She takes the paper out of your hand writes a date down on the card and hands it to you and barely says a word to you! The nurse who actually did everything with me was great, but other than that, not thrilled. So luckily, Matt's boss's husband, Chuck, is an OB/GYN, and he actually delivered all 3 kids for some friends of ours and he said that once we get approved for our medical card he'll take care of us so I don't have to go back there. so Yay!

So then Thursday night we flew up to Cincinnati. Matt's mom picked us up and we went straight to his grandmother's house (Ma-Ma). The whole family was gathered and we spent the night talking with everyone and sorting out details for the funeral the next day. So Friday morning we got to the church, St. Jude's (they are catholic), and again, met with family and friends, and then at 11am the service started. It was very intense, beautiful and very emotional for everyone. Pa-Pa had been cremated so we were honoring his life and his legacy. Later we watched a video Matt's dad had put together for him, it was a mixture of photos and video clips with some of his favorite songs. It was amazing and I'm so happy everyone was able to come together the way they did for Ma-Ma and all the family. We spent all day there Friday, although we left a little early cause I wasn't feeling good, and then we were there Saturday as well. We flew home this morning and now we are resting after a long emotionally exhausting weekend. We are so glad we went! And everyone was soo happy about the baby. Ma-Ma was so funny, even during the meet and greet before the service on Friday you could hear her occasionally telling people "I'm gonna be a great-grandma!" Even though everyone was so upset, it was nice to be able to give them something to look forward to, Matt and I were so grateful that we had decided to tell them before the funeral instead of after, we really think it helped everyone through everything. So, double Yay for the baby!

5 comments:

Carlson Clan said...

I'm glad you guys made it through the funeral. Funerals are hard. Sorry to hear about the yucky people at your doctor's office. I know - it seems like forever in between appointments! It's a pain. Especially with your first. If you don't already have it I would recommend getting "What to Expect When You're Expecting". It's great and gives you all the info you need so at least you'll know what's going on with your body in the mean time. =)

Heidi said...

Lol, that's the first thing I did when I found out. I bought that one, and Your Pregnancy: week by week. Plus I spend hours online every day looking stuff up and doing research so I have some idea of whats going on. I probably drive Matt crazy with it all, hahaha!

Kimber Bowen said...

Sorry about the funeral, I hope you and Matt and his family are doing well. What an awful experience at the doctors that is horrible. You defetinely should find another doctor, where you will be seeing them so much. How did you diabetes test turn out? That test is horrible! I had it done right before Christmas and the nurse called me and told me I had gestational diabetes and that I should eat candy, french fries, etc. I was upset my diet was french fries. My next appointment I talked to the doctor about it and he looked at my records and he said you don't have gestational diabetes you are close, but you don't have it. Stinking nurses! J/K! I hope you are doing well. I am so excited for you.

alisekelley said...

That sure is a horrible story! Yikes! I have had three pregnancies and never experianced anything like that! I am so sorry! I would certainly find some one else. Sorry about the funeral, they are so hard. Take care of yourself!

John & Amber said...

Sorry about the funeral and about your experience at the Dr. office...I'm kind of scared to find a Dr. here...I loved my Dr. in Utah and hope I can find one out here that is just as good or better! Hopefully your experiences will only get better!! We should get together sometime...where exactly are you guys living? I'm sure I've asked you that tons of times but I keep forgetting. Good luck with everything and I hope the pregnancy goes well for you!!